Thursday, February 17, 2011

Common Botox questions...does it hurt? Will I bruise? What's the crunch?


I can't even begin to tell you how many times each day I am asked by Botox®Cosmetic virgins if it hurts.  While I understand the question, we all want to know the price we pay for beauty, and often the price is more than simply dollars, it is often pain, downtime and poor result.  However, in this case, the answer is no, not really, Botox® Cosmetic injections don't hurt anymore than getting extractions done by an esthetician (and actually, when performed by an experienced injector, you may not feel the injections at all).

I am a HUGE, big time, colossal needle phob., so trust me when I tell you that getting Botox is one of the easiest things you will ever do.  Most, if not all injectors use tiny, tiny needles (30 gauge).  These needles are the same needles used by diabetics to inject insulin on a daily basis, so think of how often those individuals have to inject themselves and how advances (including needle size) have made that a virtually painless process.

What you may feel is a pinch, not an excruciating pinch like your little brother gave you when growing up, but a fleeting sensation.  This pinch doesn't always happen, but can in more sensitive areas.

What most folks don't anticipate is the sound you may hear when receiving Botox.  As the needle passes through the tissue there is sometimes a "crunching" noise.  It's hard to explain, but it does happen and it's strange the first few times you experience this noise.  It doesn't hurt, and it is quick.

Bruising is another issue that can scare folks away from Botox.  While there are no guarantees that you will not get a tiny bruise, it is unlikely from properly injected Botox.  Keep in mind, anytime a needle is used, there is a chance of receiving a bruise.  It's not the Botox causing the bruise, it's simply that the needle hit  blood vessel.  Careful injectors are aware of the most common "easy to bruise areas" and work very hard to avoid them, but some individuals are prone to bruising and it can happen.  I recommend that my clients stop taking fish oils, ibuprofen and any blood thinning supplements (unless prescribed by their physician) one week prior to any injectable service.  In a proactive attempt to prevent bruising or to help clear a bruise should you receive one, a homeopathic remedy, Arnica Montana in both pellet and cream form is highly recommended 3 days prior to your appointment and after should it be necessary.

It is important to find a provider who performs Botox injections frequently (like everyday).  As in anything, the more injectables the physician or provider performs, typically, the better their technique.  If you need reassuring and patience from your provider, shop around until you find someone with whom you feel safe and comfortable.  Not all injectors are patient, don't be afraid to decline the procedure if you are not entirely ready or comfortable.

I have clients share their Botox® Cosmetic stories with me all the time, and it continues to surprise me how many injectors simply do not understand the need to make patients feel comfortable and at ease with the process.  I spend a lot of time educating and explaining the process to my clients so that when they are ready to get their treatment, they know what to expect and feel prepared.  After all you are paying for this treatment, you should be as comfortable and confident in what you are receiving as possible.

So, I leave you with these few tips...

1.  Ask around your area, word of mouth referrals are usually the best
2.  While pricing is important, don't rely on price points to dictate quality of service ($15/unit Botox is the same exact product as $10/unit Botox the higher the price does not mean a better injector and the lower the price does not mean a poor injector)
3.  If you are afraid, go with a friend and watch him or her during their treatment, most injectors are completely comfortable allowing someone to observe
4.  If you have a question...ASK!  
5.  Pre and post treat with Arnica Montana if bruising is a big concern for you
6. Dysport is NOT Botox, if someone tells you it is, LEAVE as they are not being honest. (I am not stating that Dysport is bad, simply that it is NOT Botox, they are molecularly different products (and Dysport is cheaper) and if someone doesn't explain the differences to you thoroughly, in my opinion it becomes an honesty issue)
7.  Relax and in a few short days, you will see your results!!!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been debating about getting botox in Seattle but I haven't because it sounds painful. I'm sorry to be another annoying person asking about it but its not everyday I put needles in my face, haha. Maybe I'll have to give it a try and see how it goes over all for me. Thanks for your advice, I'm actually not as scared now!

Unknown said...

And you really ought to know that botox can move into areas that you don't want it to. I have had botox many times with no problems, but the last time, it drifted into my eye muscles and I experienced horrible double vision for about 2 months. Very, Very upsetting.

Unknown said...

I go to see every day some blogs and websites to read articles, but this
webpage gives feature based postsadvanced medical aesthetics

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate this wonderful post that you have provided for us. I assure this would be beneficial for most of the people. 英国瘦脸针 and 伦敦瘦脸针

Isa Guha said...

I didn't recommend Botox at all, In my opinion there are few side effects of using these Botox injections, for example: muscle weakness, bruising, bleeding, pain, fever, cough, sore throat, stomach pain, and loss of appetite. So, with these kind of risks its better to live with your original skin instead of an artificial one.

Dental Marketing Ideas 2017 - Get brand-new patients at your clinic today.

Unknown said...

Your Post is very useful for Dysport , I am truly happy to post my note on this blog. It helped me with ocean of awareness i really appreciate it.

amal akeem said...

you look beautiful even before doing the treatment. Anyway, thanks for sharing your information and experience of doing botox and filler. Botox injections in Dubai

Inkarn said...

Useful information...You can also get detail information about Botox by clicking this Botox Treatment US

Connor Disharoon said...

My first and second treatments were not very painful at all. However, my third treatment hurt alot and the crunch sound was horrible. That never happened the first two times. Not sure why, as I used the same Injector all 3 times.
I take an anti-inflammatory for arthritis, so for the first treatment I did not know to stop taking these meds 7 days before. I experienced one bruise but it lasted for weeks and Arnica did nothing to diminish it! The second treatment, no bruising at all. The third, very swollen on the one eye and a long but faint bruise. The first 2 treatments were worth it. Jury is still out about the 3rd treatment.

sd

Anannya said...

Nice Article! Thanks for the information!! To consult the best plastic surgeon in Mumbai, India visit The Esthetic Clinics.

Fried A Brower said...

Thanks for sharing good knowledge with us. Botox are used to treat fine lines and wrinkles. If you are looking for the Botox treatment, you can try Inkarn.com they provide the center for facial fillers treatment around your locality at an affordable price.

lina dhingra said...

BOTOX® injections are an effective way to temporarily remove frown lines and crow’s feet lines in adults creating a younger, refreshed and more natural look. Watch videos here

Yasmin said...

What is the difference between botox injections and Botox injections for sweaty gland, both are same or different. Is this a permanent solution for sweating.

Nina Holm said...

This is quite an informative post regarding the common concerns and questions asked about the botox treatment. To minimize the effect of these side effects you should take the treatment only from a trained cosmetic practitioner who has got training in professional botox courses London.

Unknown said...

It's good to know more about Botox and what it's like. I love the fact that it doesn't hurt and is really quick. My wife is looking into having this done, so I'll tell her this! https://drhainer.com/botox/

workat542 said...

Thanks for sharing such a valuable information it was very helpful
Botox Injections for Sweaty Glands in Dubai

About Me

My Photo
Barbie Winterbottom
Barbie is the founder of Advanced Aesthetics and co-founder of the former Anti-Aging & Aesthetic Institute and in Tampa, FL. A licensed medical esthetician, Barbie has studied with physicians, internationally renowned CIDESCO skin care professionals, scientists and researchers to fully understand the skin, products, treatments and how to make them all work together for the best benefit of the client. Expanding on her own clinical practice, Barbie is now sharing her insight and knowledge globally on the web via this blog, The Examiner.com and more. Barbie is frequently featured on local and syndicated TV programs for her expertise in skin care and trends in the industry.
View my complete profile

Grab My Button

Advanced Aesthetics